If a Japanese national wants to marry a Filipino national, he needs to undergo the process of acquiring some documents needed. There are four steps to follow for the procedures and acquiring documents related to the process.
General Overview of the Procedures and Requirements Related to the Marriage Process
1. Apply and receive a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage.
(This can be done at the embassy of Japan in the Philippines (Manila) or Consular Offices of Japan in Cebu and Davao).
2. Apply and receive a Marriage License.
(at the city hall of the municipality where the Philippine National resides).
3. Legally marry, sign the Marriage Contract and forward to local civil registry.
4. Submit a report of Marriage form to the appropriate Japanese officials (either to the city hall of Japanese national’s place of residence or the Embassy of Japan in the Philippines (Manila) or Consular Offices of Japan in Cebu or Davao).
Necessary Documents for Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage Application
Let us focus on the first step which is to apply for a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage from the Embassy of Japan in the Philippines ( Manila) or Consular Offices of Japan in Davao or Cebu). Necessary documents are as follows.
For Japanese National:
1. Certified True Copy of Japanese Family Register (Koseki Tohon 戸籍謄本) within three months from date of issue.
2. Original and valid Japanese passport.
Written consent to marry from the parents or legal guardian of the applicant if he or she is below 20 years old.
Japanese males below the age of 18 and or Japanese females below the age of 16 are not eligible for marriage.
For Philippine National:
1. Certified True Copy of Birth Certificate (with original stamp or seal if a true copy, from PSA (former NSO) or Local Civil Registrar)
If Birth Certificate is unreadable, please present a valid passport, any valid government issued photo ID (Driver’s License, Postal ID etc) or Baptismal Certificate.
Filipino nationals below the age of 18 are not eligible for marriage.
Since my husband and I are both based in Cebu, we processed our application in the Consulate of Japan in Keppel Center Cebu. We brought and submitted all the documents at Counter 2. We went there early so the process was smooth. For less than an hour, we finished our goal. A day after, we got the Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage. Very quick. For those of you who are confused what this document is, it’s their version of CENOMAR which is to certify that they’re single and is qualified to get married.
Chance favors only those who court her.
A flower and a quote to inspire you. Good luck on your marriage procedures!
7th Floor Keppel Center Samar Loop cor Cardinal Rosales Avenue, Cebu Business Park, Cebu City Philippines
I’m not in any way affiliated or connected with the Embassy of Japan in the Philippines. This is based on experience. Some data are based on the guidelines handed to us.